Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tips

Is it possible to abolish the modern American restaurant practice of tipping servers? I've worked in a restaurant in the past, so I certainly have sympathy for the employees and don't want them to be short changed, but can't we expect restaurants to list the real price of things on their menu?

Is this just a clever trick to make things seem cheaper than they really are? Is it worth all the inconvenience? Is someone getting screwed by the situation? What is the origin of tipping anyhow Yeah, I'm sure I could look it up on Wikipedia, but I'm just looking for the cut-to-the-chase explanation for why we break our pricing down in this fashion, and really only for this one industry).

Can I possibly place more questions into a single post on my own blog? (apparently yes!)

3 comments:

Robert said...

I think overall people would be shocked if the real cost of each item was displayed. The more I learn about the eating industry the more I am amazed at the sacrifices that are made by the staff to make it. I agree it would be great to remove tipping. In countries I have been too without tipping the service is usually better on average.

I don't think I would have sush a problem with it if it was imposed. Like you go to some places with a large group and they charge you 18% (a healthy tip in my mind - I won't go into tip inflation) to start with. If this was supposed to hide some of the cost of employmnt - why are you showing to me on the bill? And if this is a voluntary action meant to show my appreciation - why start at the top of the scale?

It may have had a real capitalist begining, but the practice has become another symptom of entitlement in many places.

Unknown said...

When you take a table at a restaurant in the UK, you are entering into a contract covered under the Supply of Goods and Services act (1982). If the service is very poor, then you can reasonably argue that the contract was not fulfilled on the part of the restaurant owner and ask for a reduction in the bill, or removal of any service charge. You can also indicate that you are paying 'under protest' by writing this on the bill and then seek to recover cost at a later date (if you were part of a birthday party or something where you didn't want to make a fuss - although I can't imagine there are too many people who would go to the bother of paying 'under protest' who didn't also like to make a public fuss!).

wonder what laws apply in Chicago

Isaac said...

That is a good question Amanda. In the past I have heard it called a social contract, in that no legal document is signed for the customer-restaurant agreement. For example, when you enter a restaurant there is no contract between the restaurant and the customer stating that “the restaurant X will provide food and beverages in exchange for payment from customer Y”, though if you try to walk out without paying, of course you can and will be arrested (unless you are quick!). Knowing the way the laws work in the US, this is probably a state by state thing, though perhaps it is covered under interstate commerce. I’ll try to look into it a little, though I don’t really know where to start. Google, I suppose!